Tuesday, November 15, 2011

The forbidden fruit

I thought I had it all perfect. L knew that he could not eat anyone's food but his own at school--only his lunch, only snacks from his safe snack box. Well, for the Fall Curriculum his class learned about trees, specifically the APPLE tree. We went to Open House night as a family. The brother of one of L's friends, gave L and apple slice on a toothpick, and I was surprised to see L eat it without batting an eye! What my perfect plan ruined!
I talked to L about this on the way home from open house....WE only eat our food! We don't know if that apple had been in the hands of someone who had nuts on their hands or cross-contaminated when cut. L said "But mom I did not get sick. It was fine." Okay folks I have a smart guy on my hands. But I said "Yes you were fine, but lets not do that again. You only eat your safe food at school." End of discussion...Well, no not quite. The next day we are walking home from school. L says, "We learned the parts of an apple today and then our teacher let us all taste a bite of apple." "Did you L?" "I don't want to tell you, Mom." PUNISHMENT....he disobeyed. Then, time to reflect on my strict rules....L has a great teacher who can probably cut the apple up safely. I talked to teacher. L, teacher and I had a discussion about this matter. We decided if the teacher, L and I discuss the food (used as a learning tool) L can have it in the class. The next week his class rated Yellow, Green and Red apples and graphed the results. L was part of the apple tasting and rating contest. L knows I only want him to eat food from his teacher that she and I have discussed. So far it is working out. The teacher and I have discussed pumpkin seeds, popcorn and, of course, apples. By the way, the Yellow Apple was by far the most popular apple in L's class! L is a smart kid, who has a lot of food restrictions. L feels safe at school and trusts his teacher. I trust her too. She is really a great teacher for L. We have some new rules and they seem to be working. I feel that L and I have to be a team, working together to manage his food allergies, because one day he will be doing it all by himself. (DISCLAIMER: I am still the parent and the one who makes most decisions...L is just smart enough and aware of his food allergies enough to help me and be on the team to keeping him safe.)

No comments:

Post a Comment