Thursday, December 17, 2009

When it first hit me...

When my oldest son L was diagnosed with a peanut allergy. I didn't want to know more. I thought "okay no peanuts. no big deal." I carried his epi-pens and benadryl around with me, but I thought no big deal. I was so comfortable wrapped up in my little blanket of denial about the significance of a peanut allergy. After way too long my neighbor said "Kathleen this is serious. You need to research and understand this peanut allergy more. This is life changing." Thank you Neighbor! You were so right. I reasearched and researched. And then I began to cry and cry. I was so sad and anxious. I prayed. I talked to my husband. I found a new allergist. I educated myself and those who care for my boys.
I finally stopped crying every night and learned that this is our life. It is a good life. God has a plan for our family. He knows each of our children and he loves them. He knows what's best for them. Now I feel like I have shed the nice cozy blanket of denial, I have dried the tears, I am better educated on food allergies, and now I want to keep learning and networking with other mothers and caretakers who love and care for children with life-threatening food allergies.

No comments:

Post a Comment