Thursday, March 24, 2011

GELATIN

It took me a long time to figure this out. But, L is allergic to gelatin. I began to suspect this after little things added up. First, he had a terrible reaction to his Chicken Pox Vaccine. Second, every time he ate Frosted Mini Wheats he would cough and cough. Then, it happened again with Lucky Charms. Finally everyday he and B take a daily vitamin. L began to complain about his tummy hurting and refused to eat much of the time. After label reading, I cut out gelatin and life is much better. L has not had official (expensive) allergy testing. But when you know you know. He can be tested in his next annual allergy doctor visit. L has been very involved in this discovery and feels more confident eating when he knows the ingredients of his food and plays in active part with me in making sure his food is safe.

I would have a harder time with this discovery, except when I told the doctor I though there must have been egg in his chicken pox vaccine because he had hives for two weeks following. She said "it may have been gelatin." sort of thinking out loud. I am so glad she did. I have since read that there is more likely to be a reaction to gelatin than eggs when vaccinations are given.

No comments:

Post a Comment